Thursday, October 1, 2009

My Top 5 Resources for my Professional Practice

I use many resources in my day to day life as a dancer, here are my top 5:

1: 'Dance Europe Magazine' http://www.danceeurope.org.uk/

My top website for finding up to the minute audition information for Classical Dance without which I would not be able to continue with my professional practice. I am also a subscriber to their monthly magazine in which I find many interesting and relevant articles relating not only to specific Dance Companies but to the world of dance as a whole.

2: 'The Stage Newspaper' http://www.thestage.co.uk/

Another invaluable tool for my development as a dancer. This site is updated weekly with audition information for a broader range of dance styles. I am very interested in having a diverse and varied career as a dancer so this opens up options to me that I may otherwise not have thought of persuing. As well as having relative information about the current UK dance scene.

3: http://www.equity.org.uk/

I am a Student member of Equity Union, an organisation that I find incredibly useful. Not only does this site offer information on debates and petitions, it also offers credible job information. I think that the role of Equity is invaluable as it offers protection in an industry rife with people wanting to exploit you. I have also consulted the Union for help with welfare and taxes. In this current climate where many businesses and companies are struggling to stay afloat, websites such as this are trying to help these vulnerable companies, which in turn keeps the job prospects open for me as a dancer.

4: http://www.iadms.org/

I wish to join the field of Dance Science after my performance career has finished. I plan to go to University to study for an MSc in Dance Science on completion of this BA(Hons) in Professional Practice. Therefore this website from the Interational Association for Dance Medicine and Science is a very valuable tool available to me. I like to keep up to date with the latest advancements in the field of dance medicine, not only to help me as an active dancer (I have had my fair share of injuries) but also for future reference for me to see any gaps in the field that I could eventually contribute to.

5: www.wellsphere.com/dance-article/danceuk

A great sight for links to articles and to other Dance Science websites including Dance UK: Lots of new workshops and seminars are posted here, as well as dance health FAQ's which not only help me as a dancer but educate me in Dance Science. The links to important articles that they offer are a very beneficial and make the articles more accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment